The role of music at St Helen’s nurtures a love of music in all pupils, from every background and ability. Children are encouraged to reach their full potential through performing, creating and listening. The intent is:
- To sing, play, evaluate, create and compose music
- That rhythm, pulse and pitch skills are constantly developed, including reproducing sounds from aural memory
- Knowledge of musical language through the interrelated dimensions: pitch, tempo, dynamics, duration, timbre, structure
- To create links to other areas of the curriculum, in particular RE
- To give opportunities for extra-curricular vocal and instrumental lessons and clubs
- To give opportunities to perform in front of an audience, both in school and outside school
- To build confidence in all children and encourage pupils to be the very best version of themselves.